Connection Templates are a feature in Coginiti Team designed to standardize the process of connecting to a particular database for groups of users. Our templates are exactly what the word means - they incorporate all the information required to connect to a database, except for the Username and Password (or other sensitive details), eliminating the need for users to enter confusing information such as host, port etc.
HOW TO ADMINISTER CONNECTION TEMPLATES
Only administrators of Coginiti Team can create / edit and share Connection Templates. They will give each template a unique name and include all the information needed to establish a connection to your database.
1. To get started, click on your account profile in the upper right corner of the application, then select Admin Settings >> Manage Connection Templates
2. You will see a list of the existing templates and an option to add a New Connection Template with your own settings. Click the (➕) icon next to the Connection Templates header and select the needed database.
With Coginiti Team, you can create connection templates for any supported database:
🔎 TIP: Each Connection Template must have a unique name.
3. In a New Connection Template dialog, there is a checkbox called Share Sensitive Data. This will allow you to configure one of two behaviors:
- If you choose to share the sensitive data, it will make username and password available for use, but the sensitive information will not be visible to the user. We advise you use this in the situations when you want users to be able to use a service account for the connection, rather than their own individual credentials.
- If you don't share sensitive data, then each user will be required to specify their username and password in order to establish the connection.
4. Using the fields Available Consumers and Assigned Consumers, an Administrator can authorize users or user groups to view and use particular Connection Templates.
OAUTH FOR SNOWFLAKE
Some of our clients use Oauth to authenticate into their Snowflake database. Since this requires some unique information, we ask that you use Connection Templates.
1. Create a blank Connection Template as described above
2. Select OAuth as authentication method
3. Fill in Client ID and Client Secret fields
4. Share the template with end users (Important: make sure you check / uncheck 'Share Sensitive Data' checkbox as per your needs)
USING CONNECTION TEMPLATES
1. Upon logging in to Coginiti Team, a user will see a new connection with the word Template next to it.
2. Click on a template and it will prompt you to enter your username and password:
Once you enter your username and password, your Connection Template will work the same as an individual connection. Please remember, that an admin has the power to edit templates as well as change user access at any point.
🔎 NOTE: You can't copy or delete a Connection Template.